It's not me, it's you (but technically me)

Here's what having house guests mean to someone who, like a plant, needs lots of air and space to thrive: living in a constant state of fight or flight. It's exhausting. I'm knackered and tomorrow we're even set to have a house party. No escape. Can't even lock myself in the toilet or shut myself in the bedroom to have some alone time. Partly because it doesn't work and partly because too long an absence is rude.

It's been a week tomorrow, and today my throat has started to react the way it normally does after inadequate rest: by playing up. Not that I don't get enough sleep, because I do, realistically. Not that there are loads of stuff everywhere to drain my energy (which would be mum's guess if I brought it up). It's because there are people around 24/7, and I've never been particularly good with that.

Could go on about why I don't like parties or rather, hosting them, but communal coffee beckons. The other thing could always be a topic for tomorrow night when I need to retreat for a few minutes just to cope. Lest I become uncivil, which I've bordered on since around ... last Sunday, or at least Monday at the latest.

Fuck I'm glad not to have children at the moment. On the other hand, for once maybe if I did, they'd be out of my hair and in the loving, doting hair of a grandparent or two instead. Still, would only be for a week and that just wouldn't be enough.

Comments

  1. It's tough when you have outgoing houseguests that need entertaining. Can't you and The Squeeze trade off? That's what PH and I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, if only. Problem is they're my parents, so can't really have him looking after them for 10 days while I take a back seat. ;)

    Strange how having people in the house is so stressful. I mean, my parents aren't really high maintenance or anything. They were shown how to get the telly working and how to use the coffee maker and they've been fine with it. It's just the whole "someone being in the house" that has been difficult. They're going back home tomorrow, so things will return to normal. :) And I'll miss them too.

    The house party went okay. One couple didn't bring their kids (which we were expecting), which probably helped. They were all gone by about 10 as well, so not too late. Just made WAY too much food! Also, we learned that our neighbours are really cool people, which was nice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment