As I've mentioned before, my camera was replaced, with a spankin' new S5600 which is working fine, it would appear, so yay!

But, alas, this is another chapter in the epic TECH GUYS SAGA!

On the weekend when I was away in Leicestershire (went to stay over with Arnie and her family and wuvly dogs and went to another ACT1, which was great fun), one of our two Xerox monitors decided it was time to pack it in. They were purchased at the same time as my laptop, just before Christmas 2005, on the "Computers @ Home" scheme. They're great things, 19" flatscreens. Mine is still working, the other one decided you could press the button to switch it on... and then it makes a buzzing noise and shuts down. It shows the Xerox logo, then "no signal" and then bzzzz, dead.

Phoned that Sunday, April 22, to book it. Was advised as it's a business agreement (guess how surprised the PC World guy was when I said "oh, and I want Coverplan on that!" ;)), I would need to speak to business, so got their number. They were only open normal business hours, i.e. not on a Sunday. Phoned the business line that Monday (April 23), they said "even if it's a business agreement, it's the domestic line that deals with monitors"... so I had to phone the normal number again...

Got it booked in finally. Was told I'd receive a call within 24 hours to book a date to come pick the monitor up. Nothing. Was advised to phone later that afternoon, as it could be 36 hours rather than 24, and it was still "being processed". Still nothing, was advised to wait until Friday, and if not having heard anything then, phone back.

Phoned back on the Saturday, as I didn't hear anything all week. It was re-booked again... and still nothing. Phoned last Friday, they were going to pick it up on Tuesday, which they didn't, so it was re-booked under a new booking number (in case there was some technical glitch with the first one). You guessed it, nothing.

Phoned again, a woman was going to investigate it. She phoned Parceline, they had no knowledge of them being supposed to be popping by our house. Her words suggested to me I was not the first person this was happening to, as she said bookings seemed to get stuck with a third party company and not being processed and passed on to Parceline. Apparently, The Tech Guys book the job, the job is handed over to a third party company whose name I can't recall but it began with an M (no, not Mastercare), and they arrange with Parceline to come and pick the item up for repair. Anyhoo, she passed on the details in an email to her team leader ("it's like my supervisor" - gasp, I had NO idea! Who'd o' thought?) and said as soon as they heard anything, I would hear from them. That was two days ago...

Soooo... now, I've phoned up Coverplan directly, partly to check with the pay-as-you-go deal on my camera, because as far as I know, if an item's replaced, you lose the warranty policy - I could have it changed to fit the new camera, or I could cancel it, which I did. The other part asking about the monitor. Explained the situation, he took my number, was going to call them up and see what's going on and ask them to call me. They might, or they might not. I'm not getting my hopes up...

Wow, I knew there was a reason for people slagging off that company. Turns out I was right on all accounts as to why. Go fig.