Daisy

The first time I ever met Daisy was a cold winter afternoon, 13 December 2002, when I went to visit my friend Bella. She was a little shy, keeping mostly to herself, and not at all as outgoing as the other two, Siamese Gizmo and Oriental Black Wizard. Still, she was beautiful. Apparently, she had just appeared in Bella's basement nearly three years earlier, and even though they tried to find her owner, no one came forward to claim her, so they kept her and gave her the name Daisy.

Ever since that day, they've wanted someone else to have her, but haven't really gone out of their way to find someone to actually do it. Then, of course, I came along, and I was originally going to have one of their stable cats' kittens, but the entire litter was killed by a tomcat. :( There was talk of giving up Daisy, and then there wasn't, and then there was again. So after the VVT IRL-gathering at Brösarp, I went home with Bella to pick her up. She walked into the travelling cage almost curiously, and didn't make a sound. This was 22 June 2003.

The journey from Skåne-Tranås to Båstad took around four hours, but she was brave and totally silent. When I finally got to the apartment, I went to get a bowl of water before letting her out, but Justin saw the cage and opened it. Daisy was curious to discover this new habitat of hers. Justin and her boyfriend Lara fell instantly in love with her (like everyone else!), and she seemed pleased.

Daisy settled in nicely, and I was really happy - I had a pet! My cat! The first night was interesting. You sleep very gently when you're not used to having a little furry predator walk all around you! She was a bit loud the first night as well, but after all, it was a whole new place for her. For the second night, I thought I'd have her out of the room, with the door closed, so that I could sleep, but that night, there was some thunder, and perhaps she was afraid of it...? The door remained open, and I slept like a log. Ever since then, she's been my companion, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

In mid-July she was in heat, and boy was she loud (right, Rose?)! Oh well. She would be in heat again, in September, after she had made her acquaintance with both my parents house in Stenungsund and at my friends' house in Gårdsjö (a bunch of other cats, and she was NOT happy about it! She did come to her senses, sort of, by the end of the week, but she was still majorly pissed off...), which of course was very stressful. So was moving to a new home, back in June... To stop her from being in heat again, and sadly also making it impossible for her to become pregnant again, she was castrated in the end of September 2003, which in itself is a long story, but I won't tell it here. At least not right now.

Daisy is a little brown-masked sealpoint Ragdoll with a birth date unknown, so I used a pendulum to find it. 9 April 1999. She's quite small, and doesn't eat much, but apparently, she never has. She weighs around 2½ kilos (5 pounds), which is very small for a ragdoll - they're supposed to weigh twice as much and be twice as big. Her tail is all long-haired and bushy, her eyes are brilliantly blue and she is totally gorgeous. When she's sleeping with one paw over her nose - there is nothing in this world that is cuter!

Every night when I'm lying in my bed (or on the couch), she comes to have her little bedtime ritual. She walks around, tugging the blanket with her claws, purring really loudly and with a concentrated look in her face. It's sort of what kittens do to get milk from their mother, so it's really a sign of happiness. I'm totally in love with her, and she seems happy enough with me as well. :)

Comments